Sunday 10 October 2010

Sunday 10th October 2010 - Mark Webber


101010 Mark Webber
Originally uploaded by Adam9309
He has the weirdest face in this picture. I promise, he doesn't normally look like this.

As you will all probably know by now, I've become a massive, massive Formula 1 fan over the last 3 years or so. I'm talking up at 6am to watch races. Now this morning, the race started at 7, but I needed my sleep, so I recorded it and watched it back a little later. And to lose 6 cars within 2 corners of the first lap, and to only have 16 finish was big. I thought it was a great race, others disagree, and are calling it boring, but I guess it's all based on personal preferences.

Now Sebastian Vettel won the race, and he led for the majority of it too. He's a class driver, who will indeed become a legend within the sport over the next few years. But there's been big talk this season of him becoming too big for his boots, and ensuring he himself is the number one driver at Red Bull. But that freezes out today's Day Dedicatee - MARK WEBBER.

Now Mark is 34, and this is probably one of the last, if not the last time he will ever compete for the World Championship as a major contender. Everything has gone right for him this season - the car is one of the best ever, his driving and ruthlessness have helped gain every point he can, and the team have all been behind him. Bar one. Now Sebastian won't admit it, but there's certainly some unfriendly goings on at Red Bull.

I watched the BBC coverage today of the race - Lee McKenzie did a fabulous job of filling in for Jake Humphrey. Jake is one of the best broadcasters in the business - I called him my 'hero' yesterday at my uni open day.

Anyway, back to the story, the BBC team portrayed Mark in a very good light today, despite coming second. But he's now 14 points clear at the top of the championship, with three races to go. It's his trophy to lose, and I can tell you now, it will take something catastrophic for him to lose sight of what he's aiming for. The bloke is one of the most focused drivers on the grid, and he's certainly going to go down as a true great of the sport.

MARK WEBBER, you are the Day Dedicatee for Sunday 10th October 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment